MM2H Visa : Malaysia My 2nd Home
The MM2H Visa has made life easy for many foreigners wishing to settle in Malaysia.
Malaysia, this small country in Southeast Asia, continues to attract people from around the world.
In recent years, Malaysia has become an important economic hub in the Asian continent.
If you want to know more about living in Malaysia, we invite you to read our article living in Malaysia.
If you want to know everything about the MM2H visa, this guide is for you.
The advantages of the MM2H visa
Duration of the visa
The first advantage is the duration of this type of visa.
Indeed, the duration of this visa is 5 years, renewable.
Make your family benefit
The second benefit is that the applicant and his or her family would be allowed to enter and leave the country multiple times.
The MM2H visa holder can effectively apply simultaneously for the following family members:
- the husband or wife,
- children under 21 years of age,
The purchase of real estate
The third advantage is that the visa applicant will have the possibility to buy a property in Malaysia, more “easily”.
Indeed, any foreigner can buy a property in Malaysia, but there are several criteria to respect.
The main criterion for buying a property in Malaysia as a foreigner is the minimum price of the property.
Depending on each state in Malaysia, a foreigner will only be able to purchase a property if it meets this minimum requirement.
For example, to buy a property in Kuala Lumpur, you will need to spend a minimum of RM1 million (about 200,000 euros).
Therefore, you will not be allowed to buy a property below 200,000 euros in Kuala Lumpur.
In some states, having the MM2H visa reduces this minimum price.
For example, if you have the MM2H visa, the minimum in the state of Kelantan (Northeastern state, bordering Thailand) increases from RM1,000,000 to RM500,000 (200,000 euros to 100,000 euros).
Be careful, buying a property in Malaysia does not entitle you to a residence visa!
Importing a car without taxes
The fourth advantage is that the applicant will be able to import his own car from his country of origin after authorization. Moreover, no taxes will be applied when the car is imported.
The MM2H visa applicant can also purchase a locally manufactured car in Malaysia tax free.
Be taxed at 0% on your worldwide income
This is a very rare advantage in the world: Malaysia is a country with territorial taxation.
So you don ‘t pay any taxes on your income from abroad, and this, in all legality!
If you are an e-merchant, or if you have an online business for example, this kind of advantage is simply a godsend these days.
Whether you hold this MM2H visa or another visa, such as the Labuan visa you can benefit from this rare worldwide advantage.
Let’s be direct: Malaysia is a country with 0% taxes, a developed infrastructure, and a low cost of living, that doesn’t exist anywhere else !
The disadvantages of the MM2H visa
We can mention several disadvantages.
Much stricter criteria since 2022
In 2022, the Malaysian authorities changed the eligibility criteria for this visa.
The conditions have become much more difficult, if not impossible, for the majority of candidates.
Among these criteria, it is now necessary to open a local blocked bank account with RM1000000, and justify a monthly income of RM40000.
Those under 35 are no longer eligible since 2022.
You will see in detail, in the following article, that this visa is reserved only for a certain category of people who have a minimum income.
You must also open an account and block a certain amount of money for the duration of your residency.
You will be able to work (update 2022)
This MM2H visa did not allow for work until 2022.
If you want to work, it will now be possible.
This is only possible for people under the age of 50.
Finally, don’t forget that MM2H means “My Malaysian 2nd Home” : you will never be considered as a Malaysian with this type of visa.
Take this type of visa as a pass to stay in Malaysia (and it is already excellent…!)
Categories eligible for the MM2H visa
Everyone is eligible to have the MM2H visa, however, you must comply with all the requirements.
Among these requirements, the country of the MM2H visa applicant must be recognized by Malaysia.
Please note that citizens of Israel, Montenegro and Yugoslavia cannot apply for this visa.
MM2H visa officials do not consider the following criteria: race, creed, religion, ethnicity, gender, or age.
The MM2H visa applicant is allowed to bring his/her spouse. He may also bring his unmarried children under the age of 21.
He can also bring his parents who are over 60 years old.
Keep in mind that the program does not provide citizenship, the requirements are quite simple.
Please note that there are two categories for MM2H visa applicants. The main selection criterion for the category is age.
- First category: people under the age of 50.
- Second category: people over 50 years old.
Between these 2 categories, the requirements are almost the same, there is just a difference in the financial criteria.
How to get the MM2H Visa ?
If you are between 35 and 49 years old
Visa applicants under the age of 50 must meet the following requirements:
- The visa applicant must hire an agent recognized by the state of Malaysia to pursue the application.
- The visa applicant must gather all the important documents needed for MM2H.
- The visa applicant must deposit RM1,000,000 in a bank account in his/her home country.
- The visa applicant cannot withdraw this amount from the bank until the MM2H application is approved.
- The visa applicant must show a salary or cash inflow of RM40,000 per month (about 8200 euros).
- Add RM50,000 per dependant, in the deposit bank account. Example: If you have 1 wife and 2 children, then RM150,000 should be added to RM1,000,000.
P.S.: This monthly salary or business profit must be indicated on the bank statements of the last 3 months.
After the application is approved, MM2H visa applicants must open a fixed deposit bank account in Malaysia. Banks must have local branches. The MM2H visa applicant must deposit and block RM1,000,000 in a bank in Malaysia.
After 1 year, the visa applicant can withdraw half of the amount.
This withdrawal must be used for rental, education, health or other needs.
However, the second half of the amount cannot be withdrawn: you must therefore permanently block at least RM 500,000(€110,000) in your Malaysian account.
If you are over 50 years old
First of all, you should know that this type of visa was initially intended for retirees.
Malaysia aimed to attract mainly retirees with a certain purchasing power.
Then Malaysia extended this visa to all persons without age criteria.
The MM2H visa applicant who is 50 years old will not need to add any amount per dependent.
How to apply for the MM2H Visa : the documents
Among the documents required to apply for the MM2H visa are:
- A letter of motivation from the candidate;
- Updated CV;
- MM2H visa application form;
- 4 color photos;
- Copy of all pages of the passport;
- Certified marriage certificate (if the visa applicant is married);
- Certified birth certificate for registered children (if the visa applicant has children);
- Certified bank statement for the last 3 months;
- All financial records indicating liquid assets;
- Certified copies of proof of profitability of the company, salary slips;
- Any other document proving rental income, dividends, profit sharing;
- Police and crime certificate;
Copies must be approved by one of these bodies:
Embassy Malaysia / High Commission / Notary Public For Authorized Oaths In Malaysia or Government Officials.
Please note that it can take up to 5 months for the file to be approved.
Keep in mind that the documents must be completed and filled out correctly.
Once the MM2H visa applicant arrives in Malaysia, there are certain formalities to consider before settling down.
The MM2H visa applicant must submit the following documents to the immigration department:
- Certificate of bank deposit;
- Medical certificate;
- Medical report;
- After submitting all documents, Malaysian immigration stamps an MM2H visa on the applicant’s passport. However, the latter has to pay RM 90 per year + the visa fee
Conclusion and advice
The MM2H visa remains an excellent way to start a new life in Malaysia.
Thanks to its various advantages, the visa applicant and his family can fully enjoy life in Malaysia.
If you want to know more, we have dedicated a chapter in the online training “Create your company in Malaysia” (no longer available).
You will find our recommended agencies / contacts, as well as all the necessary steps to take before and after your expatriation to Malaysia.
Finally, it is strongly advised to apply through an approved agency : be careful not to fall for visa scams (it is rare but it can happen !).
There is also another type of MM2H visa, less known: the MM2H visa of Sarawak.
This visa was revised in September 2020. We introduced it briefly in our online training.
If you are retired, retiring to Malaysia can be an excellent choice!
- Which sim card Malaysia : internet 4G, whatsapp, networks
- The different Malaysian visas : how to live in Malaysia ?
- Living cost in Malaysia : what budget for living in Malaysia ?
- Expatriate health insurance : which one is the best, how to choose
- School Malaysia : French, British, International, locale and private
- Where to eat in Malaysia: Malaysian cuisine, international restaurants
- Leaving France for Malaysia: How, moving, work visa, procedures
- How to get around in Malaysia : taxi, Grab, Uber, plane, train and bus
- Religion in Malaysia : Islam and other religions in Malaysia
- Looking for an apartment in Malaysia : where, how, how much ?
- What phone plan Malaysia postpaid or prepaid
- Which expatriation / vacation health insurance : how did we choose?